Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Vatican June 3

We woke up at around 7 to go to the Vatican. We took the metro to the stop nearest Vatican City, and walked the rest of the way. We got stopped by another guy trying to promote guided tours, and since the line was already so long at 9ish am (about 2 hours long if I had to guess), we decided to take the guy up on his offer. Of course we got 'a special discount' of 35 euros, which included entrance and guide fees.


Our guide was AWESOME!!! His name was Jay, and he really knew not only his Vatican history and facts, but information about everything else. He was originally from the United States so he was easy to understand, and had gotten either his masters or doctorate. At first we thought he was really nerdy, but as the tour went on we were amazed. If you ever get a Vatican tour, try and get this guy. We even got his email in case we want him to guide us through the catacombs later in the week.


The tour was about three hours long, and we started out in the Vatican Museum, which was full of beautiful paintings and statues. We saw a few by Raphael, Michelangelo, and da Vinci. You know, no big deal.


We went through the Sistine Chapel, which was incredible, and a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. You are strictly forbidden to take pictures within the Sistine Chapel, but I did. I know, that's really bad, and if I had been caught (which I almost was) you would have your camera confiscated and probably be kicked out. But luckily no one really saw me, and I got a couple of good pictures. I held the camera down my my waist and took them without looking.


The tour ended right before we went into St. Peter's Basilica, and believe it or not I was sad it was over! We went inside and saw Michelangelo's Pieta. I learned that apart from the United States, it has never traveled anywhere in the world. And as a thank you to the Vatican, the US donated a heavy bulletproof glass to protect it. Apparently in the 1970's, a psychotic 'artist' attacked the statue with a hammer, screaming "I am Jesus and this is not my mother!" He broke off Mary's nose, left arm, some of her robe, and part of her face. At his trial, he declared that he was the messiah. The tour guide says that there is a youtube video of it.


We didn't spend much time in the Basilica, because it was HUGE! We were told it is the largest Christian church in the world, apart from one in the Ivory Coast which wasn't acknowledged by the pope for a while anyway, and even then its only a few meters larger. Oh, and outside of the Basilica, I definitely tripped up the marble stairs. Again. But it wasn't my fault! I saw a monk that distracted me from concentrating on the stairs…he was wearing Teva's and sunglasses with his monk's robe.


We said goodbye to Kendra, Kelly and Farrah then and Fran and I continued on under the Basilica to the tombs of the popes. We weren't allowed to take photos here either, and I didn't want to be disrespectful because they were actual tombs. I saw the tomb of Pope John Paul II, which was the last pope for those of you who didn't know, and there were still notes and flowers. Its obvious that he was a very beloved leader.


We stopped by a souvenir shop and also the Vatican Book store, where we got a few gifts. AKA finally got your Vulgate Nick!!!


We left the Vatican at around two, and I grabbed pizza before getting back on the metro. Our hostel is basically on the other side of Rome than the Vatican, and so it would have taken forever to walk there. The rest of the day we just rested at our hostel, watching a little bit of Lord of the Rings on my computer. Tonight we're making dinner with Kendra, Kelly and Farrah, and taking it easy again tonight.


Next we're going to Pompeii!!

By Raphael.
Also by Raphael. Its a huge painting! At least 12 feet high.

The School of Athens.

Sictine Chapel ceiling. Sorry they're blurry! I had to be quick or I would be in serious trouble by the guards.



Michelangelo's Pieta
Me inside of St. Peter's Basilica.

And outside of the Basilica.

No comments:

Post a Comment