Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Delos and back to Athens

So today I took zero pictures. I got super seasick, and kinda just sat around. But I'll tell you from the beginning of the day. Or, the end of last night...

Because we've been traveling for three weeks and washing our clothes in sinks with only a little bit of detergent each time, our clothes reek. Totally disgusting, the kind of smell that makes you feel dirty. So when we got into our hotel in Mykonos, and I saw that they had washing machines, I NEEDED to use it. They weren't washers for the hotel guests, but I asked an incredibly nice woman named Penelope if there was any way Fran and I could use them to wash our clothes, and she obliged.

Let me tell you, I have never been more excited to use a washing machine before in my life--we did that jumping squealing thing that girls do when they are excited.

So we did two loads of wash and hung them out on the upstairs terrace (because up there it won't look like a gypsy camp?) and woke up early this morning at 6.30 to pack them up. My clothes smell so good!!!

After breakfast, we headed out on a small ferry to the island of Delos. Because it was a small boat, I think I felt every single rocking motion it made, but because the trip was so short I couldn't take dramamine. So I felt horrible, and me and my friend Jessica sat at the small coffee shop on the island. I wish I had seen more of it :(

By the way, I'm sure that it sounds like I'm having a horrible time because of all the complaining. But I'm not! I guess I'm just not as well prepared as I want to be, or maybe the trip is going differently than if I had planned it.

So we got back on the same ferry back to Mykonos, where believe it or not I was yelled at again by the hotel guy. This time it was for trying to carry my suitcase by myself. But he wasn't even there when I left my room! He yelled at me when I reached the bottom of the stairs. My apologies?

The boat ride back to Athens was 5 1/2 hours long, but this time it was great because the ferry wasn't as full this time, and we got to sit in nice seats on the inside of the boat. When we got to Piraeus Port, a bus picked us up and took us back to the hotel that we stayed at in the beginning of our trip. As soon as we got close, we felt a little like we were coming home, because it was finally somewhere familiar.

We got 2 euro gyros and Häagen-Dazs ice cream for dessert, which I've been wanting since we were last in Athens. Tonight we're going to sleep early, and tomorrow I think we're doing the last of our Greek souvenir shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment