Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hey everyone! Sorry I didn't post anything yesterday. We had a free day and went to the beach, and I completely forgot my camera. And then everyone watched True Blood on my computer and I fell asleep before they were done.


So today we went back and completed the National Archaeological Museum. We went upstairs to the pottery wing, Egyptian wing, and the Theran room. Once again I was super tired, and burned out from the beach yesterday (literally). But on a side note, the liquor store down the street has cold cokes, pringles, and Mars bars, which they don't make in America anymore and use to be a favorite of mine and my dad's.


Oh p.s: for some reason they don't drink very many cold drinks, and you have to ask for ice in your drink. Also, although our hotel has free breakfast every morning, which is great, its the same stuff every day, and that includes warm milk in the cereal. Its a really weird taste that takes time to get use to, and I almost peed my pants when I saw cold milk in the liquor store.



The pottery was alright, but I didn't see any that I recognized.


White lekythos. Young warrior sitting on the steps of his tomb. Next to him a woman holding a helmet and shield, and a young man. From Eretria, from Group R. 410-400 BC



The Egyptian wing was really cool, I just wish I knew more about Egyptian archaeology and mythology. I learned about it in 6th grade but I've forgotten most of it.


The living used scarabs as seals, amulets, or rings. Those scarabs bore blessings, symbols of fortune and fertility, figures of deities, the names and titles of their owners, even royal names, inscribed or depicted on the flat reverse. Scarabs were the most popular funerary jewelry, as they offered hope for justice during the weighing of the heart ceremony, and for resurrection.



Mummy case of Djed-Aset-Ansankh, chantress of the god Amun.




I was really excited about the stuff from Thera (Santorini) and the frescoes in particular, but when we got there, there were only two of the Frescoes.

The town of Akrotiri on the Island of Thera (Santorini)

The well preserved ruins of the ancient town often are compared to the spectacular ruins at Pompeii in Italy. The canopy covering the ruins collapsed in an accident in September 2005, killing one tourist and injuring seven more. The site remains closed while a new canopy is built. (Wikipedia)


The Antelopes Fresco. Two antelopes are sketched with strong, dark lines on a white plaster background. From the same room as the Boxing boys.


Boxing Boys fresco. The painting depicts two naked boys wearing belts and boxing gloves. Their heads are shaved but for two long locks at the back and two shorter ones above the forehead. Their dark complexion indicates their gender. The boy on the left is the more reserved of the two and wears jewelry consisting of a necklace and two bracelets, one on his arm and the other around his ankle, which indicate his higher social status. From the same room as the Antelopes Fresco and probably by the same artist. Room B1, Building B.

The Spring Fresco. THis is the only wall painting of Akrotiri that was found in-situ, covering the walls of the same room. It depicts the rocky Theran landscape before the volcanic eruption: clusters of red lillies with yellow stems dominate the red and gray volcanic formations, while swallows swoop above, animating the scene and symbolically announcing nature's annual rebirth.

I think I got a little dehydrated today. I need to remember to drink water! Its tough going around to all these places, constantly on the go, and not understanding everything going on around me.



Tomorrow we leave Athens, and we're headed towards Olympus.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are having a blast! Looking forward to follow your posts this summer. I applaud you in trying to get a post up everyday. beast.

    ReplyDelete